MetaMask is one of the most convenient tools for interacting with the Ethereum blockchain. Blockchain users can use it to appeal their Ethereum wallet through a browser extension or a mobile app. This can then be used to interact with decentralized applications. This guide will explain how to deposit funds to the zkSync wallet using MetaMask Wallet.
It should be said right away that the first transaction after making a deposit is charged a small fee for account activation. You must deposit an additional $20 to cover transaction costs and gas fees. You can go to the FAQ section to learn more about account activation fees.
Connecting Metamask to Zksync Network
So, to connect your wallet to the zkSync mainnet, you need to click on the “Ethereum Mainnet” button at the top of the MetaMask.
- Follow the link https://wallet.zksync.io/ and connect your wallet. To connect to the leading Ethereum network, click on the Ethereum symbol in the lower right corner and select the main network.
- Select + Top up. You can now choose different ways to fund your zkSync wallet, including FIAT onramps, Exchange, or Bridges. In this guide, we will use the zkSync bridge.
- Sometimes there are situations in which you may not find your token. Here are two options: Some tokens may not be named by the token’s symbol but by their internal identification number on the Tokens page (ERC20-23 = UNI). Another option is that you can add your token to zkSync. To do this, click on the button “Can’t find a token?” and click “Add new token” in the upper right corner, then follow the instructions. Use the link to access the tokens page. Then select a token, enter the amount you wish to top up, and click “Top up”.
- After reviewing the information about the transaction, confirm it. This transaction is L1 (because you are funding from L1 to Zksync layer 2). After your transaction is processed on L1, your funds will appear on Zksync layer 2 (use Etherscan to track transactions in case of delay). In this regard, the time of its appearance in the block depends on the commission you set: the higher the commission, the faster the transaction will appear.
- Congratulations! Your transaction has been successful (initiated) and your funds will be visible in your zkSync wallet for ten confirmations of your L1 transactions.
ZkSync Account Activation
The first transaction after funding your account requires special action to activate the account. For more information about activating your account, see the Account Activation FAQ.
You will need to log in to activate your account signature to get started. To do this, sign the message to generate a zkSync Layer 2 private key.
You can now sign the message to activate your account. The account activation fee will be available to you under the transaction fee at the completion of the transactions. We recommend that you read the messages that you will be signing.
Transfer Funds on zkSync Network
We will now take a quick look at how you can send funds to another zkSync account. Important: These tools will be at the zkSync Layer 2. To use L1 funds, you will need to send them to ETH. In addition, regardless of whether the Ethereum user has a zkSync account, he can receive the money transferred to the same address where Ethereum is located.
- Click “Translate”
- Select “Transfer to zkSync”
- Enter the recipient’s address, and select the token and invoice amount. Before sending, you can change the commission token. A significant advantage is that the most popular tokens are used to pay fees. This is because zkSync supports gasless metabolites.
- Sign the message to send the transaction to the zkSync network (check everything carefully with a pre-signature). The transfer takes a few seconds (in case of an error, check zkScan to create a transaction).
- Congratulations! Your transfer has been completed. The transaction has been initiated and the funds are ready to play.
Committed: A single yellow check next to your balance indicates that your request has been processed by the zkSync server. Your funds are now ready to use!
Verified: Two green checkmarks signal that the block containing information about your request has been created and sent to the layer 1 smart contract.
Transfer Funds from ZkSync to Ethereum
Finally, we will look at the process of withdrawing funds from zkSync back to the ETH main chain. So, you want to send your funds to an exchange. In that case, you need to follow the following steps (there is an alternative option, which is to enter the address of the exchange when withdrawing money, however, most exchanges do not respect smart contract transfers, which may cause you to contact support).
- Click on the button “Transfer“
- Click on “Transfer to Ethereum“
- After that, your current address will be automatically entered in the field. However, if you enter a different address, you need to ensure that it accepts smart contract transfers.
- Select the token you are going to send to Ethereum and enter the amount.
- Confirm the data (amount, address, commission, etc.) and sign the message.
- Your withdrawal request has been initiated. Money will be debited from your balance. However, the withdrawal time may take from several minutes to 12 hours.
Thus, you withdraw money to Ethereum.
Using our instructions, you can easily add Zksync to Metamask. In addition, activating your account and transferring money to zkSync or Ethereum will also be easy for you if you follow our recommendations.
It is hard for anyone to wait until ZkRollup is available which represents the endgame for Ethereum scaling – one that scales Ethereum technologies without degrading security & decentralization. It’s been four decades, but zkSync 2.0 will now go online with a fast, moving path toward the fully-gated release.
It can be used to control ZkSync. Moreover, when zkSync fully decentralizes, tokens can be utilized for stakes and become validators for ZkSync’s network. Detailed information coming soon.
Matter Labs said it hopes to introduce the Uniswap platform on zkSync to encourage new user adoption by reducing transaction costs compared to a blockchain.